As more and more people discover that they have intolerance to certain foods, new ingredients are sought in order to replace the offending items.
Just as we are becoming better at understanding our bodies, diet and nutrition in general, supplement manufacturers are keeping up with the supply of new ideas to fit our evolving tastes and requirements.
Brown rice protein powder is for people who:
- Are lactose intolerant and want to avoid dairy products.
- Are gluten intolerant and want to avoid cereal derivatives.
- Are concerned about soy products, and their effect on hormonal balance.
- Are allergic to eggs.
- Want to shy away from manufactured protein shakes that have huge ingredient lists.
- Want to increase the amino acid profile of the protein that they are consuming.
- Like a more naturally processed ingredient.
What is brown rice protein powder?
Brown rice is rice that is in its natural state before processing. It is the outer layers of the rice that contain the nutrients. Most of the manufacturers of brown rice protein powder appreciate who their main type of customer is.
The main customers are Vegans, people who have food allergies, and health fanatics.
Because of this, the manufacturers keep the process as natural as possible to appeal to their target market.
So brown rice protein powder tends to be chemical and additive free. The manufacturing process uses enzymes, filtering, and fermentation to enhance the protein and amino acid levels of the brown rice.
Disadvantages of brown rice protein powder
There are a few main issues that people can have with protein powder made from brown rice.
The overall protein percentage is fairly low at 8% and there is a low amount of amino acids, certainly in comparison to milk or soy protein.
Some complain that the texture after being mixed is a little grainy, and the flavor can be a little earthy. A lot of this is subjective as many people appreciate the unique taste and texture.
- As previously mentioned, the fact that brown rice protein powder is hypoallergenic and perfectly tolerated is the main advantage.
- It is tolerated by those with celiac disease, allergies and other food intolerance.
- It is a natural healthy product that will please even the strictest Vegan.
- It also has natural fiber which helps digestion and blocks fat absorption.
- The body can digest and utilise brown rice protein powder far more easily that soy or milk.
- brown rice powder also tends to be very versatile in different recipes.
The decision to use brown rice protein powder also does not have to be an either/or decision.
With fruit and vegetables it makes sense to eat different colors for different nutritional profiles. It is the same with protein. If you consume many different types of protein in your diet, you are more likely to cover all of your nutritional bases and needs.
Well there is nothing negative that we could really say about brown rice protein powder. For those who need to avoid milk, wheat or soy, then a slightly different taste or texture is no problem.
For those who want to expand their nutritional profile then rice powder is a sensible addition. For anyone who is concerned about natural processes and ingredients, or animal and environmental welfare, brown rice powder ticks all of the boxes.